News and Events

Keep up to date with the latest news and events of Modular Bikes.

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Monostay Bike is on the Road

This bike is.....

just finished!

During the day I got all sophisticated and cultural,

visiting the 20th Century modern furniture exhibition,

which took place near Federation Square in Melbourne.  Went in there on a wooden bike of course!
Hi

Spending a fairly quiet weekend at home.  A few weeks ago I got all ambitious and made a tentative booking to go in the Audax "Midwinter Madness Warnambool to Melbourne Ride", with the idea of riding 2500 Audax k's in the year.  A meer 400k in the cold and rain, mostly in the dark as well.  But 2 weekends in a row of almost continuous bike activity (with some projects almost finished at home) was seeming like a bit much, so before I went to Corryong I bailed out of Midwinter Madness.

So today I did a few other things instead amidst occasional sunshine, some wild winds and rain (good luck to all the Warrnambool riders).

In the morning I rode to my Mum and Dad's after half finishing a new bike (adding chain and cranks, bottom bracket bearing and pedals.  In the afternoon, I 3/4 finished the new bike (adding seat and stopping the brakes bumping into the chain.  On the first ride the bike went quite well and I am pleased.  But I'd forgotten to tighten the headstem bolt and about 100m from the house I went splat on the ground, as you do with non-functional steering.  Ok, picked myself up and only minor cuts and stuff, and I fixed it on the spot.  Then a fairly pleasant interlude of 3k or so of riding when about 100m away from the house, BANG, a tyre blowout.  Oh well.  Pretty happy and the bike is finally on the road about 3 months after it was started.  There is plenty to of work left in painting and finishing it off and making a new tailbox.  The tailbox I used for the blocky was borrowed from the bike I took to Corryong.

Later in the afternoon I rode to the  Mid Century Modern Exhibition, took a few photos.  I was the flourescent yellow bike riding gear guy, almost everyone else wearing black.

The good riding on the monostay bike was fairly shortlived: on Sunday morning I rode off to visit friends on a VicHpv ride but only got as far as Burke road in Deepdene, where, crossing the road, the rear chainstay split in two, depositing the back wheel and a bit of wood (half a chainstay) on Burke road.  Had to walk home which took about 2 hours, using the remains of the bike as a weird steerable wheelbarrow.  In terms of bike disasters this was about a 3 out of 10 - no severe injuries and some minor inconvenience.  I have some plans for remaking / redesigning the monostay and will probably order some routed timber and laser cut steel within a few weeks.

The chainstays for the bike have been in development since I started building the wooden bikes again as detailed here, in Jan 2013, while other parts have stayed relatively static.  This is just another step in the process, I am gaining experience all the time.

Regards

Steve Nurse

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhh!  Broken Chainstay.

No comments:

Post a Comment