News and Events

Keep up to date with the latest news and events of Modular Bikes.

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Seat Repair


Time to fix the seat I think, so.....

from this pile of proto-seats and almost good enoughs, 

I grabbed some timber, cut it up and 

started on the seat repair surgery.

Here the dark brown replacement timber presses up against the broken seat and acts as a splint......

and this is the repair of the seat section, glued and screwed and drying while its held in place.

Hi, As I mentioned last time, one of my seat / tailbox combinations broke, possibly while carrying a bike frame in the back of it.  So last week I had a bit of time and put some effort into repairing the bike seat properly.  As the photos above show, I put some care and attention into it, selecting and cutting some strong plywood as a replacement strut and patching the split seat area from behind.  Went out for a ride on it today, its all good.

There is a vast difference between the seat on one of my Freds and the seat of a standard bike. Repairing the wooden seat of the bikes is enjoyable and a way of coming to "own" and become involved in the trike whereas damage to a standard bike seat as shown below is not repairable.  In most Western countries, the bike seat shown below would be discarded without recycling.

Standard Bike Seat


Regards

Steve Nurse

No comments:

Post a Comment